Saturday, September 26, 2009

Operation Overhaul

In an attempt to salvage myself from regret and boredom, I have decided to attempt a complete overhaul on my life. Currently, I am working at a job where there is no room for growth . . . I believe dead end job is the phrase, right? So yeah, dead-end job, sucky hours, and only one goal under my belt. Which was to land this job in the first dang place. But now that I have it, after over 3 long years, I am feeling a bit ungrateful. So that means it's time to move on and leave this job to someone who's willing to settle and never be promoted.

So the big plan is this . . . ready? Within 6 months, I plan on starting afresh. I am open to pretty much anything but here's what I got on the list thus far . . .

Plan A:

Apply to teach English overseas in Japan. If chosen, the process takes 2 to 6 months. (I'm crossing my fingers, that if accepted, they take the maximum time of 6 months) So for the time being, I would bide out my time at my current job (for about 3, 4 months) and then move onto a seasonal job that I pick up every year - which would start in February and end in April. And then move on to teach the future of Japan. If I'm not chosen to teach Japanese youngins, I'd move onto plan B. Which is . . .

Plan B:

I would bide out my time at my current job, until the desired seasonal job comes in. After that contract ends, I would start selling personalized art. Sidenote: I'm a pretty artistic person (I mainly paint and sketch) and all of my friends and family (who I've done multiple portraits of) wonder why I don't just become a professional artist. Soooo, I'm currently taking some ceramics classes and plan to put their hunches to the test. I used to be scared of becoming a "starving artist" but when I think about it, I'd be just as much of a failure if I just sat here and let life pass me by.

Now the downside to Plan A is that I would have to leave my friends, family and most importantly my dog (and his human father) behind; which would break my heart. My dog is like my child and the thought of not having him with me eats at my innards. LOL, sorry had to laugh at how that sounds. But seriously, he's like my little sidekick. The only consolation I have is that I know he would be in good hands. Another downside would be going so far away from my family. There's a part of me that always worries about something terrible happening while I am away.

Now the downside to having to roll onto Plan B is that I wouldn't get to travel and have adventures in Japan. How awesome would it be to go overseas and get paid to experience a different country and work with Japanese Gerber faces? (Gerber faces = children in Arnetta speak) I grew up pretty poor and never really had the opportunity to travel. As a college student, I couldn't borrow from mom or dad to backpack around Europe and as an adult, I find myself lending out money here and there to help struggling relatives. So saving up 4 to 6,000 dollars for a trip has always been kind of a luxury.

So that's what's on the calendar. Feel free to add any suggestions people . . . I'm all ears.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I constantly look at overseasjobs, but I don't think I have it in me to leave my dog-plus no one really likes the little 4 legged freak, but me. Isn't it just a shame that an animal can hold you back?

    Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, how come nobody likes your dog? LMAO I kind of lucked out . . . and had a really supportive puppy's daddy. You need to get you one of those! :-)

    But seriously, thanks for the luck, I have been looking at overseas jobs for quite some time and figured there's no time like the present.

    ReplyDelete