Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hide Your Kids, Hide Your Wife . . . Irene is Coming!


Hurricane Irene is supposed to be one of the biggest storms to hit the East Coast in over 50 years and today is the big day she'll greet us with her presence. So after a busy day of preparation - washing clothes, freezing water, grocery shopping - we wait. The stores have been packed with people stocking up on water, batteries and flashlights. All kinds of events have shut down - including some oldie's party at my mom's apartment complex tonight and a church convention my Aunt was going to this weekend. People have been comparing the impending storm to Hurricane Katrina, which (knock-on-wood) is a strong exaggeration. But it's supposed to be big. The national news has been reporting on this storm and warning people not to leave their homes. And most people are taking heed to this advice because nobody wants to take the chance of being caught in the rain, being hit by a tree or getting blown away by the wind. Nobody . . . except for my dad.

You see, his retirement party is today. And as far as my dad is concerned, nobody is going to take that away from him . . . not even God himself. He has worked too hard and done too much for people not to come to his shindig. The storm's going to be outside and the party's inside, so . . . no big deal, right? Either way, there is no convincing him to re-plan this thing and I'm really shocked the Fire hall didn't forbid his usage of the facility in the first place. I just hope that he won't be too disappointed when people start to cancel. And I really hope that nobody gets hurt trying to drive to his thing. As for me . . . I live an hour and a half away from where this event is going to be. The drive would be treacherous. In the case that this HUGE hurricane turns out to be a glorified drizzle, I'll go. But for some odd reason, I doubt it.

:-(

Blog Update - The retirement party has since been cancelled. Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment