Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Connecticut



So saddened by these events.  As you can see, it's taken me a few days to even work up the energy to write anything about the Connecticut school shooting. It's hard for me to see or hear about anything horrible happening to a child and to be honest, I haven't really thought about what has happened in detail because I can barely wrap my brain around it.  My prayers go out to everyone involved and I hope that the families and friends of those who were lost to this tragedy can find the inner strength to move forward.  When something like this happens you can't help but to start thinking about how it could have been prevented.  I think about it quite a bit, but in my opinion, Americans will continue to see these types of tragedies if we don't change our thinking on violence, guns and the mentally unstable.

My opinion . . .

Violence - Is glorified everywhere.  The news, TV shows, movies.  We treat murderers like super villains and the excessive media coverage makes it appealing for a psychopath to seek notoriety through taking their crimes to the next level.  Anything for the attention that seems to be guaranteed.

Guns - Should not be accessible to any and everybody.  Period.  It shouldn't be as easy as it is to be the victim of gun violence.  Most people couldn't be trusted with a pocket knife much less a gun.  And there have been so many studies that have proven that just touching a gun makes people more violent.  Why are we not understanding that?  Why are the lives of everyday people in the hands of other everyday people?

Mentally unstable - Should be profiled and watched.  Violent threats and violent people should be taken more seriously/ monitored closely.  Muslims are profiled, black men are profiled, Hispanics are profiled . . . but the people that commit these mass murders are not?  I think it's time to stop being racially insensitive when it's convenient and start focusing on the profiles of the people who are committing these kind of crimes.  And we all know the profile.

So that's it.  I don't mean to offend anyone because I understand that the world can be a dangerous place, but as a country we can't blame anyone but ourselves for these types of things.  Violence is not something that can be confined to "certain" neighborhoods and if it is allowed to exist anywhere, it exists everywhere.  We've got to do different.  And if we don't start to change the way we do things in this country, then all of the innocent people that have died through senseless gun violence have died in vain.

Just my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment