Sunday, April 12, 2009

For the Love of God, It's the LOVE of Money!

Soap Box Rant # 24


The Holy Book of the living God suffers more from its exponents today than from its opponents. -Leonard Ravenhill



Bible reading is an education in itself. --Lord Tennyson



Reading the Bible without meditating on it is like trying to eat without swallowing. --Anonymous



One of THE most misquoted scriptures from the bible is 1Timothy 6:10 which says " . . . for the love of money is the root of all evil." Most people quote it as "money is the root of all evil." Which is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. WROOOOONNNNGGGG!!!



(Money is not evil. It is an object. To love this object, however, causes the many crimes we see in this world. People selling their bodies, their children, killing, wars, famine . . . prettymuch every injustice you see in the world has its beginnings with someone loving money and wanting more of it than necessary.)


Now it doesn't bother me too much when people misquote this scripture. We're not all bible scholars. And that's okay, BUT I don't let it slide. A buzzer goes off in my brain. And I quickly correct the person, because I don't want them going through life thinking or even saying that money is evil. Just like I wouldn't want them going through life thinking that 1 + 1 = 4. This, however, is not the point of today's post.


The point of today's post is that a lady at my job, who happens to be a minister, called herself preaching to me (you know, me being a sinner and all- and I admit to being one - no delusions of grandeur here) and she misquoted the scripture. This is how she sounded to me - " . . . cause you know, Blank, money is the root to all evil, and blah blah blah, jibberish, so on and so forth . . . "


Meanwhile the buzzer in my head went off. BUZZ! (nah, I'll ignore it) BUZZZ! (she's a minister and she's on her soapbox, I'll let her finish.) HELL NO, BUUZZZZ! MOTHER-FREAKER BUZZZZZZ!!!! "(clears throat) excuse me, minister lady, it's the LOVE of money that's the root of all evil. Not money itself."


"Oh, yes, of course" she says and continues spewing hell and damnation. But by that point, I was done with her. I just couldn't stop asking myself how a self proclaimed minister could tell somebody that money is evil? A minister has a responsibility to "the flock" NOT to f@#$ up the word of God. It's one thing to misquote a scripture and keep the same meaning, but to misquote a scripture changing the whole meaning and keep going because you didn't even notice, is just unacceptable. This is the reason why I advise EVERYONE to ask for scriptural proof. If someone is telling you something, I don't care what it is, ask for the scripture that backs it up. Period. Know your bible.


I'm far from perfect, but I catch stuff like that all the time. Like every Sunday morning, I catch the same priest from the local televised Mass misquoting the Lord's daily prayer. HOW YOU GONNA MISQUOTE THE LORD'S PRAYER???!!! LOL What a state religion is in.


That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment