Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Gitcho Butt Outta My Way!!!

Soap Box Rant #5

Most people would die sooner than think; in fact they do.
 - Bertrand Russell

Okay, I understand that you are a pedestrian.  I understand that you have the right of way and that it would be illegal for me to run you over with my car.  I also know that YOU know it's illegal for me to run you over.  But why . . . WHY do you find it necessary to slow down when you see me coming?  I am not speeding up when I see you crossing.  No, I am keeping a respectful distance.  I even slow down a little bit to show you that I mean no harm.

Maybe it's not "in" to walk anymore.  Maybe this is your way of compensating for that.  Maybe you want to show me that I don't intimidate you one bit.  That's cool.  I don't want to intimidate you.  I don't even know you.  I'd just like for you and your friends to scoot yourselves across the street in your skinny jeans and colorful hoodies.    You don't have to run across the street.  I know that wouldn't be "a good look."  But you also don't have to look me in my eyes as you smile at your friends and proceed to creep to a snail's pace.

It's not walkers vs. drivers. And even if it was, I would so win.

Okay, um that's it.  Carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment