Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Dilemma

One thing that I didn't count on when I got to Japan was how little time I would have to myself. I spend about 90% of my time working or preparing to go to work. Every chance I get, I try to get on the internet and blog or go traipsing about the city but then I get sucked into the black hole that is Facebook and can't seem to do anything but comment on statuses and look at pictures. And then there's Skype.

*Deep sigh of resignation*

Skype is a blessing and a curse. It's better than Facebook because you can actually see your friends in person. You can speak to them and hear the complete story behind what's going on in their lives. But on the other hand, you're hearing their "complete story" and it sucks your time up like you wouldn't believe. On top of this, the connection is reeeeally bad so I find myself shouting, "Can you hear me?" and attempting to reconnect dropped calls over and over and over again. I get on the internet to watch an episode of The Daily Show before work and the next thing I know, I'm sitting on Skype yelling, "Your screen is frozen . . . Can you hear me? . . . I'm going to hang up and call back."

So the funny thing about it, is the same people that I miss the most are the people I try to avoid when I get on Skype. Funny right? I'm in a country on the other side of the planet, missing my friends and family and yet sometimes I find that I'm avoiding these very people. It's a very strange problem to have.

Well . . . I gotta go.

Peace Snitches!

1 comment:

  1. lol!

    When I get on FB, I really don't like how long simple communication takes to get chatted out. I have not gotten hooked on skype. Yet.

    ReplyDelete