Monday, November 7, 2011

Maybe We Do Have Bad Attitudes

I may piss a lot of people off with this one but who the hell cares?  This is my blog and I can say what I wanna.  (Now that the unwarranted, guilt-ridden self-defensive statement is out of the way . . . )  One of my best friends was on the Anderson Cooper show on Friday with her boyfriend.  The show was talking about interracial relationships (my friend is a white woman and her man is black.)  Well, at some point in the show, a black lady made a comment that she's disgusted when she sees black men with white women and that black men only date white women because they're more submissive and blah-blah-blah (I wasn't really listening).  The comment was ignorant (in my opinion) and personally, I thought the whole thing (the show, the topic, etc.) was silly to begin with.  I think the show was promoting the book Is Marriage for White People which is a stupid question.  Truth be told, I was only watching it to support my buddy.  Who really gives a rat's ass about interracial dating nowadays?  (Again, my humble opinion)  Either way, after she spoke, Anderson went over to my friends and asked them what they thought about the lady's comment.  Tyrone said that he was disgusted with it, but he also said that White women do have more of an easy-going/bubbly attitude.  My friend, Sarah (after mentioning that she has black female friends - that would be me yall, lol) then kind of reinforces her man's words by saying that yeah, Black women can be a little defensive.

I laughed at the "oohs" that she got from the audience.  Of course, Jacque Reed jumped in and explained Black women's viewpoint (or whatever) as to our anger and pain or something (still not really listening).  I guess the whole thing just went over my head.  Granted, I am a black woman.  This is an undeniable truth.  But as someone who's spent a lot of time on the receiving end of judgements, anger and nastiness of my sisters (and I mean "sistahs" not my biological sisters, though they have had their days); I can honestly raise the question that maybe - just maybe - we do have some f**ed up attitudes.  It goes without saying that there are plenty of White women (and Asian and Hispanic - just women in general) with bad attitudes, but I can only speak from my experiences as a Black woman (who has had to defend myself against the stereotype my whole life.)

I don't have a lot of black female friends.  I have about 2 to tell you the truth.  Other than them, I have a couple white girlfriends, hispanic and now a few Japanese girlfriends.  In the grand scheme of things, as someone who's grown up in the housing projects (surrounded by Black women, mind you), in a small poor neighborhood, pledged a Black sorority, minored in African American Studies in school, and jumped through damn near every hoop that most Black woman have to jump through (dealing with Black men, going to church, self-esteem issues, racism, sexism, etc.) - I've still emerged with only two Black female friends who are not in my family.  2.  And one of them is in my sorority - so that feels a little "default-ish" too.

Either way, I've always been someone with a friendly personality.  I'm uninhibited with who I talk to and have been known to be friendly and very "unassuming."  To the point where a good amount of Black women have questioned my blackness and the ones who didn't just assumed that something was a little off with me.  And throughout all of the rejection, I used to defend my sisters.  To the point where I would be extra nice in situations where I didn't have to be.  I've listened to Black men rant about Black women and I've attempted to defend "us" and be "the voice of reason" as if I could explain it all.  Truth was, I couldn't.  I barely had two black girlfriends to rub together.  There were times when I'd seen sistahs go in on people for some of the stupidest shit that I could not in a thousand lifetimes explain.  Hell, there were times when sistahs have gone in on me, for some dumb shit - and I had no idea how to react.  It was like I was a member of a gang and I didn't know our "colors" or gang signs.  (I remember back in college, one of my sorority sisters was telling me that she wanted a girl to join our sorority because she and the girl were ready to fight at one point.  She said that this was the kind of toughness that she wanted in our "clique."  I just looked at her confused.  Why would you want someone with a jacked up attitude to work with you side by side in a sorority?  Wouldn't you want a nice person to do like sisterly stuff with - you know, sisterhood?)  Either way, I guess this was why I didn't (and don't) have a lot of Black female friends.  That attitude is part of the "strong" "real" "take-no-mess" category that we like to put ourselves into and frankly . . . I don't have have it.  It doesn't make me weak, or fake or submissive, but it definitely makes me a little different.  And part of coming into my own was accepting this fact about myself - and honestly, about my sistahs.

Now I don't necessarily believe that there is a correlation between Black women's attitudes and the whole lack of marriage "crisis" in the Black community.  With my rainbow coalition of friends, I get to see the whole perspective - and the truth is, my Japanese girlfriends (and white girlfriends) are singing the same tunes that my Black sisters are belting out (about not enough good men to go around).  And personally, I've had just as many Black men repulsed at my bubbly personality as there were ones who were delighted by it.  (It's just a matter of preference).  Just the other day, I walked over to one of the two Black dudes at the Meet and Greet for my job and you should have seen the quick eye-roll he had for me.  It wasn't until the rest of the peeps there started shaking my hand and talking to me, that he realized that I was "cool beans" and he began to converse a little as well.  It was like he realized that I didn't have the attitude . . . he did.  (That's what I like to call getting the "pre-attitude" attitude - something that I get a lot of as a BW.)  So yeah, Black men have a little work to do in the attitude department as well.  But when it comes down to my sistahs, I am not defending anyone anymore.  The only black female I will defend is myself and just because I'm a black woman doesn't mean that I don't have to deal with bad attitudes from other Black females.  I hate dealing with that mess too.  Shoot!  lol

2 comments:

  1. I barely had two black girlfriends to rub together.


    -This makes me glad I'm back at The Mom's and able to remember my password :P

    I only have 1 black girlfriend and calling her that nowadays is a stretch because she's such a moody, bossy bitch. I don't know if there's a correlation between her attiude and race. I'm thinking she's just a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you say so Steph (I'm still going with the correlation, lol). Maybe we should add each other as friends so we can get our numbers up. LMBO!!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete