Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Celebrity Ramblings - Definition of Diva

So, I heard that VH1 Divas will be returning this year featuring singers Adele, Miley Cyrus, Kelly Clarkson and Leona Lewis. Sorry, but when that announcement was made I couldn't help but hear Waa Waa Waaaaa. I'm not usually a hater, but I guess the definition of diva that I grew up believing looked, sounded and felt nothing like these girls. Actually they're like the anti-diva to me. Especially when it comes to sangin. Now before VH1's Divas came out, the definition of that word was not really used outside of the Black community. And when it was used, it was used to describe a mature woman who "sang" with a lot of soul and usually had the ability to move people to strong emotion, and of course had a little spice in the "attitude" department. (But nothing unreasonable, like throwing phones at people a la Naomi Campbell). More like a grown woman "doing it on one's own terms" type of attitude.

Today the definition of diva has definitely jumped the shark, but I still believe in the old definition. So here are some women that I've always secretly thought of as (true) divas.

Aretha Franklin - Queen of "Soul" and attitude for days folks, attitude for days! Oh, and that tacky-ass hat she wore for Obama's Inauguration (how very diva of her). I had to put her first.

Gladys Knight - A beautiful woman with a bunch of dudes for back-up singers . . . Nuff said!

Whitney Houston - The only human being to actually sang (SANG damnit!) the National Anthem. I don't care how much crack that woman's smoked, she's the only person who ever made me enjoy listening to that ghastly song. (And yes, I said it . . . it's a GHASTLY song!) Plus she's just fabulous.

Patti LaBelle - I have had the pleasure of meeting this woman on several occasions and she is the biggest drama queen EVERRR!!! But that voice, good Gawd, that woman's voice!


Tina Turner - Drama is often the sobering reality of being a "true" diva (by my definition). It adds soul to the songs.

Diana Ross - After all these years, she's earned it. I always imagine a diva as someone that thinks they're everybody's Mama, Aunt, Big Sister (etc.) but doesn't ever want to age.

Umm, that's all I got for now. I'm sure I'm missing a few (Chaka Khan), but when I think of VH1's Divas I always imagine how amazing it would be to see all of these TRUE divas on the same stage together. I don't imagine that dream will be realized anytime soon.

But whatevs.

4 comments:

  1. BOO on VH1. I can't wait to see the commercial and how it's advertised. Didn't Kelly Clarkson have to stop a tour because of horrid sales? I could be wrong on that one... LOVE TINA TURNER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, I don't like the way the word 'diva' is thrown around. To current use of diva makes me think bitch. ruh roh :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. shoot. i meant the current not to current!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the word "diva" has nothing to do with singing anymore. It's just like, 'you have a bad attitude. That makes you a diva!'

    And as far as Kelly Clarkson's tour, I heard the same thing . . .

    http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/06/14/kelly-clarkson-pulls-plug-on-summer-tour-as-ticket-sales-fall-flat/

    VH1 is trippin!

    ReplyDelete