Sunday, December 13, 2009

Happenings and a Soap Box Ranting

I'm trying to refrain from cursing today. I usually have a mouth like a sailor and I think some days should be sacred, so excuse me if my language sounds a little . . . I dunno . . . childish. I have also been hanging with 5 year olds these past couple days soooo . . .

Blank Canvas
I am an artist. An arteest (if you will)! And I'm pretty *gosh darn* good too. Problem is, it takes me forever to paint one picture and I don't spend enough time painting or doing anything artistically productive. However, I
recently started painting again and I'm working on a few pieces that I am pretty happy with and hope to turn into a series. Yaaay me!!! (Sidenote: My annoying coworker says that it takes me a long time to paint because I'm insecure with my work. People are a trip aren't they?! And for the record my skills are the mother-*loving* bomb!) Pictures to come!
Guy Privelige
How come (outside of church folk and family) I have the pleasure of running into guys that glorify being total *poopy* heads? I have heard men saying a lot of insensitive things against women in the wake of this Tiger Woods scandal as well as other recent scandals (Chris Brown/Rihanna) Have we gone backwards? Is it okay to treat women like crap? I guess if my man cheats on me or beats the stuffing out of me, I should come to expect it and just feel lucky that I found a guy willing to
put up with me every day in the first dang place . . . you know, my being a woman and all with my Double D fun bags, my empty head and my whore face. LOL Am I getting carried away? Bottom line. Let's not forget our values here. I swear people want to turn this world into nothing more than a business transaction between prostitutes and "johns."

The Silver Lining
On a lighter note, I took my nieces to see
The Princess and the Frog last night. It was sooo cute. The trip was supposed to be for them, but it was really a guilty pleasure. I am a Disney Princess fanatic. Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, the list goes on and on. As a little girl I grew up singing Disney songs and repeating the lines verbatim. I never held it against ole' Disney that I didn't see not nary a Black person in their princess movies - even after Disney started representing Native American princesses with Pocahontas or Arabian princesses with "Princess Jasmine", I still smiled and sang the tunes. "Can you paint with all the colors of the Wiiiiind? Can you paint with allll the colors of the wiiiind?!" (Then after Mulan hit theaters I thought to myself, this is getting fricking ridiculous here. Lol.) But here we are in 2009 and Disney is almost out of other races to do and we finally have an African American princess . . . *Sigh!* . . . it feels good yall. And to be honest, I don't think my nieces even noticed that she was Black (and I made sure not to emphasize it at all). They are blessed to be so young during "the age of Obama" having no clue that this is the first time in American history Black children can see images of fairytale princesses or Presidents and imagine themselves as beautiful and capable and . . . well, it brings tears to my eyes. Go America!



That is all. Have a happy Sunday folks!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to see some of your work! As for your annoying co-worker: doesn't she know that you can't rush the genius of an ARTEEST?!?

    I commend you and your effort to refrain from cursing. I used to curse for sport; for shock value. But I do try not to. The more I don't curse, the more I don't curse, you know? Working on not being such a "poppy-head"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, send the "poopy head" memo to your fellow guy species. And I'll be posting some pics of my pics once I get them all together.

    ReplyDelete