Thursday, January 14, 2010

If Helping Haiti is Wrong . . . I Don't Wanna Be Right!

"On any given day, the one thing you can always count on every time you step foot outside of your home is to have to listen to someone saying something really STUPID." -- My twin sister

She sounds so negative, doesn't she? LOL (But I promise you, she's not. She's just really really blunt and I think this is one of the funniest quotes I've ever heard from her outside of the time we went for a walk early one day and she's tipping her hat to some drunkards out on their porches with "Drunk in the mernin to ye!") Either way, I think about my sister's quote when I step outside of the house and it takes the edge off of some of the things that people say.

Onto the topic at hand. I watched this video on Black Fire, White Fire last week (another blog that I absolutely love).

If you don't feel like watching the video, it's a clip of crazy-butt Keith Olbermann laying out who else but Rush Limbaugh for some ignorant stuff he said and Pat Robertson - who'd said that the earthquake in Haiti was God's payback to the Haitian people for selling their souls to the Devil.

Later on while showing the video to a coworker, she made the comment that yes, maybe it is "those people's" fault that they have been hit by a devastating earthquake and yes, maybe they did indeed sell their souls to the devil in the 19th century. And yes, maybe God is punishing them for that.

Now, I work in media and since this tragedy struck, I have had the misfortune of having to look at hours and hours of footage showing bloody and homeless men, women and children as well as piles and piles of dead bodies (all up close). I am not lying when I tell you that the instant she said that, a blood vessel in my brain must have popped, because I had a migraine for like two straight days afterward.

I asked the girl "if this is divine judgement, then what about the Haitian people who have immigrated to other countries? Does moving to another country mean that they are instantly excused from their sin of selling their soul to the devil?"

She said that she didn't know.

I then asked her "if God wanted all of these people to die, then wouldn't our efforts to try to help them go against his wishes?"

"Oh, of course not!" she said.

At the end of the conversation she gave the answer that I was waiting for . . . . God works in mysterious ways. Ding! Ding! Ding! And there we have it folks!!! As Chris Rock would say, That train is NEVER late!!!

Anyway, this ordeal along with so many other human tragedies has given me yet another reason to reflect on how blessed I am to be born in this country and to live the priveliged life that I have lived. Seeing the victims of that earthquake (who look like people that I know and see every day) living in the streets and having to survive under the worst conditions allows me to know that there is no law that says I have to live a pampered life. I can't afford to take every day for granted or think that it's just "those people"who will experience pain, or try to justify someone else's tragedy by saying that they "deserved it." The only thing I can do is to pray for them and try to help them with hopes that others would do the same for me and mine if - God forbid - a tragedy of that magnitude were to affect me. (Ecc. 9:11 . . . if you don't know it, look it up!)


Either way, if you want to donate generic medical supplies (like bandages, alcohol, aspirin) to Haiti, here is an address along with a list of things that are needed. I chose to post this specific website because personally I like to send supplies as opposed to money (I'm paranoid that way).

Medical Supplies for Haiti

That's it yall! Have a great day. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Girl, Keith Olberman is the bizness!!! I have such respect for how he completely dismantled the bullshit that is Rush Limbaugh and Pat Robertson.

    How could anyone be so hateful and effing crazy, especially a preacher, to accuse a whole nation of people of making a pact with the devil???

    I am completely convinced that much of the ill feelings that many Conservatives have towards the Haitian people is because they were the only country to successfully resist Western enslavement. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it would be one hell of a coincidence that the poorest nation in the Western hemisphere is the only nation that successfully revolted against slavery.

    This has truly been an awful tragedy, but the world is finally focused on this poverty-stricken nation. With OUR collective continued support these people will rise above this catastrophe. I have faith in the Haitian people's resilience and complete faith in God's mercy.

    Thanks for the soapbox moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! Thanks for reading. It's funny, the whole time I was writing this I was thinking maybe I should just change my blog's name back to Soap Box Diaries, lol.

    I usually tease my manfriend for watching (as I like to call him) "Crazy Keith" every day but secretly, I love the guy. I love his choice of words and how he just rips into people with the truth. Talk about soap box rants, LOL.

    And don't get me started on that conspiracy. The Haitian people hold a special place in my heart for their strength and sacrifice, fighting for their freedom in a way that I wish North and South American Blacks could have. And Pat Robertson has the f***ing gaul to say they "sold their souls to the devil"!!! He is the devil. It is definitely not a coincidence that those people have been living in poverty and have (up to this point) gone ignored and unsupported.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I mean gall. F***ing gall. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Keith Olbermann too. What I DON'T like is that he gets criticized for stating facts, where people like Rush are criticized for their lies. I guess truth is stranger than fiction, because folks seem to believe a lie before they believe the truth.

    I am glad to see the worldwide response to the tragedy in Haiti. People of color have had to endure so much. This is terrible, but I believe in the power of God, and I know if the Haitian people trust in Him, He will take care of them. My prayers for everyone there.

    ReplyDelete