Monday, January 11, 2010

The Land Before Time

Last night, I had the pleasure of getting together with my extended family and having a big party with food, gifts and games. Being around my teenaged cousins, however reminded me and my sisters of how old we're getting. This in turn, lead to a conversation about computers back in the day. Like remember when there was just typewriters?


And then word processors came out and that was like "the bomb"? LOL


And then, the next thing you know your classroom got a computer and it was like a HUGE freaking deal? And it looked like this?


And it sat in the back of the classroom and everyone had to take turns using that one computer? And if you wanted to play a game you had to use a floppy disk and it looked like this?


And it was like 8 1/2 inches? And remember the monitor with the big black or blue screen that looked like this?


Or this?


Or this?


And in order to get your computer to start working you had to type "boot up" or "Windows a/:" or something like that?

And remember when the "mouse" came out? And you were like, "Look I'm moving the little arrow on the screen! Wooow!"


Yeah, you know you remember! lol Sometimes I wonder if I'm really that old or did I just attend a school that was really "behind the times." Probably a little bit of both. Either way, thank goodness for modern technology.

5 comments:

  1. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I am only 25 and I remember most of this. I FEEL OLD TOO! I remember for the longest time I had a Tandy at home. We had all the games (wheel of fortune was my favorite) but the damn computer took at least a half hour to start up! That was back when computers didn't have hard drives, so you had to use a boot up disk, then after that command the computer to read the floppy disk to start the game!

    And I say this while using my netbook. Jeez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 26. and Ah yes, the boot up disk! How could I forget? LOL And Wheel of Fortune was "the business" back in the day. I remember playing that and a game called Labyrinth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember too! I'm a proud 27!!! The Oregon Trail was the business!!! I was ALL about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Oregon Trail was also "the business" back in the day (along with a similar game called Cross Country USA, anybody remember playing this in school?) These kids today don't know nothing bout dat! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait you're in your 20s? I am 30; I sorta kinda remember that stuff (I got my first computer in 1995, it looked a bit more modern than what is shown in the pics :-D ).

    Now I use Linux...which still looks a lot like those command line shots...

    ReplyDelete