Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cheese to go with my Whine

At work today, my supervisor decided to get on every last one of my nerves. He'd reached the very last one when I was forced to go outside and put some money into my parking meter, only to find that I'd already gotten a $76 ticket. Also, I was in a "tow away after 3:30pm" zone and it was 3:33 so I had to move my car. Only, I'd left my keys in the office. So 5 blocks back to the office, 5 blocks back to my car (which was still there thank God) I called up the manfriend and went into moan and groan mode. Luckily the manfriend knows what to say in those situations.

Me: And he had the nerve to say that the music I picked for the segment wouldn't work because (blah, blah, blah. Whine, moan, complain)

Manfriend: He has a lot of nerve. Tell him that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Me: (shrill, high pitched voice) And I got this $76 ticket! I'm already $250 in the hole this month.

Manfriend: Don't worry babe I'll pay the ticket. You have enough to deal with.

So while pulling out of my parking spot, eyebrows furrowed and mouth contorted into a permanent frown I remember saying, "I want to cry. I really want to cry right now!"(Because I'm so grown). And right then and there the saddest violin song starts playing. No lie. Violins.

I look around, trying to figure out where the heck the soundtrack to my life was coming from and I see on the street corner, a sad looking school boy playing a violin. The violin case sitting in front of him as onlookers dropped change into it. It looked like something out of Les Miserables. And then a solitary leaf floated ever so gently to the ground in front of him. At that moment I burst out laughing. I realized how immature I sounded and it hit me that all I needed was a lonely violin to play behind my childish whining . . . and I actually got it.

From that point on, my mood changed and I realized that it was an extraordinarily beautiful day. Sunny, 73 degrees. After 3 straight weeks of surprise snow storms and then 40 days and 40 nights (okay 4 days and nights) of rain, I was complaining on a day like this? I told the manfriend that I was fine and that I'd handle my boss and the $76 ticket. He was a little confused by my sudden mood swing, but relieved. (Poor guy! I take him through so much, lol)

So now every time I complain I hear that sorry violin song. Okay, Jehovah . . . I get it! Thanks for the kick in the pants!

3 comments:

  1. Don't you love/hate when your mood gets put back into perspective?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is truly hilarious...I like the "soundtrack of my life" line! A violin player? For real?!? HAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!! You shoulda gave the kid some money!

    But parking tickets suck. That's not so hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Patti - There was definitely a love/hate thing going on. But, I definitely needed that comedic "kick in the pants."

    @Bighead - You're right, lol...poor kid. That parking ticket dang-near took me over the edge but it was hard not to see the irony in the violins and that immediately changed my mood.

    ReplyDelete